How to avoid homeowners insurance policy nonrenewal or cancellation
Over the last few years insurance companies have become extremely risk averse and are starting to cancel or not renew homeowners policies. Take these simple steps to to avoid homeowners insurance policy nonrenewal or cancellation.
- Make sure you always pay your insurance premiums promptly and on time.
- Always keep your property in good repair. Keep your home and surroundings clear of accumulated trash. Maintain “pride of ownership” by keeping roofs, siding and brickwork in good condition and freshly painted.
- Be careful when selecting a household pet. Yes, having dogs of certain breeds can result in your homeowners policy being cancelled or nonrenewed. Here’s a list of the top 10 most aggressive dog breeds.
- Do not use your insurance policy as a maintenance policy, i.e., reporting small or possibly avoidable claims.
- Establish annual contact with your insurance agent to ensure that your property continues to meet the insuring guidelines of the company.